Friday 11 January 2013

Aerial Photography over Mackay

Just before Christmas I got a enquiry asking if I did Aerial Photography. I was very pleased to get this call as it resulted from a significant outlay to advertise in the local phone book (currently being distributed in the area). I of course said "yes I do" and over the next week details were finalised. Job was to photograph one main site where earthmoving equipment had been moved back for the Christmas period, possibly a couple more sites too.

Truth was it would actually be my first session from a small plane but I reasoned it wouldn't be a great deal different to a vantage point landscape, well within my camera skills.

Ever the technical guy, - just to be certain on I was doing I read up as much as possible and also used google maps to check location out in advance. There are a few books out on aerial photography, Aerial, the art of photography by Hawkes - it is just that, mostly about the art, not the process. Small-Format Aerial Photography - Principles, Techniques and Geoscience Applications by Aber, Marzollf, and Ries goes more the other way, - being way too geoscience for my purposes. I'm sure there are more but that was all I could get at short notice.

With this information and a chat to the flight provider I could calculate best lens to encompass the ground area . Booking time of flight also gave direction and length of shadow. I realised white balance was a thing I'd need to deal with either at the time or possibly post production. Last technical issue was the that there is no chance to quickly calculate hyperfocals from moving plane with no mid reference points, I'd have to front focus and let distance give sufficient depth of field. I couldn't afford the time in a moving plane to be too "techie". 

I had used the excellent android app - photo tools by HCPL to very quickly calculate lens coverage (FOV) based on 1000 to 1500 foot height or a 3-4-5 triangle for oblique views.

Link here: - HCPL Photo tools

From this I reckoned my existing 24-105 on the 7D and the 50mm on the 5D would do it, no need to buy or hire more lenses. In retrospect a 70-200 F2.8 would have been good too for closeups,- probably instead of the 50mm.

Last issue to deal with prior to the job was to get it into my head that I needed this under my belt and my lifelong fear of heights had no place here. As a youngster I remember going up a lighthouse to the light room, I was terrified, I couldn't bring myself to go out onto the balcony outside the glass like my parents. I still remember vividly that adrenalin flood that stayed with me long after exiting the lighthouse. Even as an adult I couldn't handle the railing next to the drop on top of the Rock of Gibraltar peak. Oddly I cope OK with cable cars and the window seat in passenger jets.

Tinted window Cablecar in 2003 - Langkawi Malaysia

On the day of the flight I met up with the client at his primary site, I got a walk around to see what he wanted to include in shot and also was told the other two sites should be covered flight time allowing. Between that conversation and a little more at the Airport I had an approximate map in my head and a few pointers as to how to find those sites.

The client decided not to upgrade his plane booking so it was the two seater, he therefore remained on the ground, The pilot had a general idea where we were headed - enough for a flight plan and to inform control but I was on my own finding the specific extra sites from the client description and his pointing to my google maps on my mobile. As a loose object the mobile was left in the hangar.

 
Gazelle in Hangar

The plane we were using was a Skyfox Gazelle. Having done my homework I appreciated there would be no lens changes in flight - one big reason for the lens homework beforehand. The space in these things is snug to say the least, there is no space for baggage or moving around in the seat and swapping gear. When it came to it, everything not fastened to me including contents of my pockets stayed in the hangar.The door on my side was hooked up under the wing for the flight giving me the optimum photographic clearance. It also meant I had a sheer drop from seated hip.

Door up and open view

Once settled in the seat and flight began I tried out a few shots, we weren't too high at that point and I knew that was the best opportunity to compose myself to task, I was determined this job was going to be completed. I was forced to let go of the tubing airframe above my head and return my right hand to the camera. Both hands would be needed for every shot and I had to accept that the harness and seat weren't going anywhere.

 
Off the ground. I see this and there is an old song I can't get out of my head... Little boxes...

Once over the main main site we ran circuits and I took a series of photos. The straighter runs weren't too bad but banking turns were a little harder on my resolve. Still, I got the shots.

About the only thing that caught me out was you can't stick a hand (don't point out) or camera far outside without being hit by rapid air flow. Camera must stay reasonably inside or it is in the full force of airflow.

The 2nd site wasn't too far away, maybe only 3 or 4 mins flight, a smaller site with not a lot to see other than earthworks. A few circuits and all done.
 
Off to 3rd site, this was a much bigger site and we had to increase distance out here, conditions were also a little hazier but I'm pleased to say that didn't affect final shots. This site was a clearance for housing /development. Height was increased and the only nervy moment was a sharp banking so I could get more of a direct down plan view, I got the shot. There was perhaps an extra circuit or two here due to the size of the block. All completed we headed back to the airport.

One thing I had done at main site, airport pre flight and post flight is photograph my Spydercheckr, This did two things, it gave me a good feel for white balance either side of shoot and also tested shutter speed at chosen settings. There really isn't time in flight to be changing things around. Conditions in flight were a little varied, WB from west will not be same as WB from east, nor will it be the same with all that 20 to 40% cloud that drifted through but the spydercheckr helped.

Link here: - Spydercheckr
Buy Here:- B&H

Cloud cover and resulting shadows
 
Nearly back, runway ahead.

Time in air - I'm not sure, probably 30 to 40 mins total, well under the hour flight  the client booked anyway. My on location time including visit to site 2 hours.

Touch down - I can nearly touch the rotating wheel.
 
Feedback from the client is that they are delighted with the images. As I write this we are still to decide on final printing and advertising useage. Out of respect for the client I won't include any of their specific images here.

All images Copyright Eric Bowden Photography 2003, 2013.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Eric. This is quite educational for me. I was actually enticed by a remote aircraft that is equipped with HD video camera that is also capable of shooting stills. I wonder if it's worth investing the money.

    The only aerial photography I had ever shot was from a window of a cable car, an airplane and a tower during a trip. So they were all incidental shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Damian. I too had wondered about remote aircraft. There are some quite sophisticated setups out there. My son got a good size glow engine power RC plane for Christmas. It wouldn't be too expensive to add a GoPro Hero 3 black (subject to FOV) to this but I do wonder how stable it would be for image quality, how accurate it would be for framing and how good the camera wireless is for controlling shot. I am sure when my son finally gets the completed plane down to the club someone there will have that already ironed out.

      I believe the actual plane hire for the hour was around $240-260ish as comparison.

      Delete
  2. Via Linkedin I got the following feedback:-
    “Eric, well done from old ex Navy aerial shooter. You researched and learned the techniques and problems to avoid very well. Your article should be inspiration and blue print for others to follow who have an aerial assignment in their future. “
    By Steve Freund

    Many thanks Steve, really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete